Under the Thatch provides amazing holiday homes across Europe - simply gorgeous places to stay that stand out from the crowd. We rent out fabulous, quirky places to stay and put profits into historic building rescue projects across the continent. We’re currently working in Malopolska (Poland), Andalucia (Spain), Ceredigion (Wales) and Donegal (Ireland), but our next project could be anywhere in the world that we find an amazing building in a wonderful location.
We aim to provide exceptional self-catering holiday experiences in every sector of the holiday market – from top-end luxury to tiny rustic cottages and cabins. We're particularly well known for providing historic and unique properties and enjoy some of the highest occupancy rates in the industry. If you're looking for modern rustic interiors then you've found their natural home Under the Thatch.
If you have a property that you may be interested in letting with us, contact us.
Under the Thatch is directed by architectural historian Dr Greg Stevenson, who has written about and worked in building conservation for the past twenty years. Greg is best known in Wales as the architectural historian on the TV series ‘Y Ty Cymreig’ and ‘Y Dref Gymreig’, and in England he was series consultant for BBC Restoration. He is a Trustee of the Welsh Historic Buildings Preservation Trust and Honorary Research Fellow for the University of Wales. He lives and works in Europe managing building restoration projects.
Under the Thatch was established in 2001 to find a viable end-use for an old thatched cottage that we rescued from collapse in West Wales. The success of this first project soon led to the next and before long we’d snowballed into a company specialising in authentic conservation and restoration work in Wales, the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Poland etc. In 2005 we took on our first ‘agency’ cottage and since then this side of the business has grown whenever we’ve found owners that share our ethos, and have properties that stand out from the crowd. Our portfolio now includes a mixture of our own restoration projects and similarly gorgeous properties that are owned by others and advertised under our brand.
- We’ve got a selection of self-catering properties to take your breath away.
- Our prices are what we consider fair and reasonable.
- We have some of the most sustainably managed holiday accommodation in Europe.
- We specialise in the quirky and the unusual.
- We price much of our accommodation according to the number of people staying - so if you are a small group you don't pay over the odds to stay in a larger cottage.
- We have exceptionally high occupancy rates because of our flexible pricing – we work hard to keep properties full, and with community benefit all year round.
- We employ local people to conserve and maintain our properties.
- We use traditional crafts and materials in our building conservation. E.g. we use lime instead of cement, limewash instead of acrylic emulsions etc.
- We endeavour to use environmentally-friendly materials in our building work, such as sheepswool insulation rather than fibreglass, limecrete rather than concrete, linseed-oil based paints etc.
- We aim to run the business in a way that minimises its environmental impact. The booking office we use is paperless, we have ‘green’ hosting for the website, and we try and bring sustainability into all major decisions.