Under the Thatch document: About Us
Under the Thatch - refined, authentic properties in beautiful locations.
We aim to provide exceptional self-catering holiday experiences in every sector of the holiday market – from top-end luxury to tiny rustic cottages and cabins. We're particularly well known for providing historic and unique properties and enjoy some of the highest occupancy rates in the industry. If you're looking for modern rustic interiors then you've found their natural home Under the Thatch.
If you have a property that you may be interested in letting with us, click here.
We're run by an architectural historian and author, and the office is managed by an archaeologist and teacher, so we live and breathe interiors, architecture and authentic building conservation every day in what we do. We're not just about selling the best holidays; we advise on conservation, renovation and dressing properties. We work from various locations across the EU depending on our current project, but we answer the phone/email during all the usual office hours.
- We’ve got a selection of self-catering properties to take your breath away.
- Our prices are what we consider fair and reasonable.
- We have some of the most sustainably managed holiday accommodation in Europe.
- We celebrate the quirky and the unusual.
- We price much of our accommodation according to the number of people staying - so if you are a small group you don't pay over the odds to stay in a larger cottage.
- We have exceptionally high occupancy rates because of our flexible pricing – we work hard to keep properties full, and with community benefit all year round.
- We use traditional crafts and materials in our building conservation. E.g. we use lime instead of cement, limewash instead of acrylic emulsions etc.
- We endeavour to use environmentally-friendly materials in our building work, such as sheep wool insulation rather than fibreglass, limecrete rather than concrete, linseed-oil-based paints etc.
- We aim to run the business in a way that minimises its environmental impact. The booking office we use is paperless, we have ‘green’ hosting for the website, and we try and bring sustainability into all major decisions.